Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNo Away!!

Today is November 1, and that means its the start of NaNoWriMo. Yes, we're going to write 50,000 words before November 30th.... and still accomplish the other million and a half things that are planned for this month. No sweat. (Help!) A walk in the park.

I really am excited to be doing NaNoWriMo this year though. I feel like it will push me, and my writing, in a whole new direction. I have written stories since I was a kid... but they have all been short stories, never extending beyond a few pages. That's fine and all - many very notable writers excel in writing only short stories - but I feel like my stories do have more life in them and I have just never taken them where they need to go. Like, I am missing some greater part of writing. For NaNoWriMo, there is no "short story" option - its 50,000 words (approx 175 pages) or nothing! I'm using it to analyze my writing, and really try to flesh out the story into more of a book. I did an outline (scary) and even wrote out some analyzing questions (crazy) about the characters. I wrote out character descriptions (wild) and a short history of their surroundings (whoa). Its a completely new approach to writing for me...... and, so far, I think its working.

At the local NaNoWriMo kick-off party last weekend, I got a sticker in my "welcome" package. Its bright orange, and it says "Your story matters." I agree.... but even more than that. My writing matters.  I'm excited to see where the rest of the month will take my writing. And I'm excited to be writing again. Again, and again, and again... Writing is one constant in my life. I have always loved writing, and I always return to it. This is what I want to do. This is what makes me happy.

It has taken me a long time to be able to say these very important things about myself, and not feel some kind of shame.....

I am a writer. I am an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment