Friday, January 15, 2016

So, there's this stuff...

I'm pretty sure that I am a hoarder on some level.

I am definitely a Keeper of Things, and I think that my Things are approaching some kind of critical mass. At least, to me they are. Is it that I am changing my view on life? That I no longer need to be a Keeper of Things? Or is that I am being influenced by our society that suddenly seems so obsessed with "living simple" and "purging"? Whatever the case may be, I am now to a point where I am facing my demons.

I think that all humans having the tendency to hoard, to keep. Its the "gatherer" of our hunter/gatherer mentality. Only now, instead of gathering sticks for fire or berries to eat, we gather dishes or antiques or collections of knickknacks. And its so easy to fall down this slippery slope... you find something at the store, and you think "This is lovely, I want this in my home." You buy it, and take it home to find just the perfect place for it. And then its "Oh, you know what? It would be even better if I found This and That to go with it." The kibble starts to gather...

And then you get to the other side, where you realize that you need to "organize" your belongings. O, dreaded word: organize. You go buy more Things to "help" you get organized. But do you really use them? Do you really keep your shoes all in neat little plastic shoe boxes, or do you just kick them off into a growing pile of footwear when you get home after work while the plastic shoe boxes remain empty of all but dust? The intention is there, but... Oh, this is perfect! I'll just buy this one thing.... The kibble continues to gather....

Moving across the desert to a new (most likely temporary) home while I finish my college quest has also forced me to re-evaluate my Stuff and my role as Keeper of Things. I'm living in a 125 sq foot studio apartment now, which is about 12% of the space that I had before. There is very little room, and the more Stuff I have the less room I have to navigate in. I need room to relax, to study and do homework, to sleep, all of the necessary things that go on in my life now. And in that room, I also need room for my Stuff. So, what Stuff is necessary and what isn't? It's not an easy question for me, though others may find it a breeze.

I have a Himalayan rock salt lamp... because I enjoy its soft diffused light. But is it "necessary"? I can certainly live without one, and did for many years, so its not necessary to my existence. Its not even necessary to my comfort, as I have other lights that function more efficiently and with brighter (more usable) light. The salt lamp provides a diffuse background light which I enjoy on occasion, and it sometimes functions as a night light which is nice, but its not a strict necessity. So, I have to evaluate its place in my Stuff, and decide... does it rank high enough to have a Place?

And this is just one example. I've been trying to make this decision for all of my Stuff, all of my Things. Does it deserve a Place? Why does it deserve a Place? Can I fulfill this item's Place with some other item that is more necessary? It can be exhausting, and it can be all too easy to just say whatever, everything is fine the way it is.... but that's not progress, and I want to see progress. I'm okay with a few silly/unnecessary/luxury/hobby items, but it has to be within reason.

I will never be a minimalist. That's just not in my nature realistically. But, I no longer want to be tied down because of Stuff and Things either. I want to find a happy middle, that allows me the freedom to roam and still be a Keeper of (Some) Things. This is possible, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment