Monday, June 3, 2013

Out and About: Overland Expo 2013

I am terribly late in posting our latest adventure.... Overland Expo ended two weeks ago, and I'm just now doing a post for it. Ugh. But, still, I am doing a post, so that counts for something.

This was our fourth trip to Overland Expo, in its second year at Mormon Lake Lodge. It was, as always, great fun. OX always has great classes, and really superb instructors. The learning value alone is totally worth it. We've established a pattern for our trips to OX: Bill takes lots of driving classes, and I take lots of "support classes" in planning, packing, cooking and first aid.

Conservation Driving with Jonathan Hanson.
This year, it was COLD and WINDY at Mormon Lake. And I was (sigh) tired. We literally had been home from the The Great Southern Excursion (KY/TN/NC) trip for three days before we packed up the Super Taco and hit the road to OX13. When we arrived, I was tired. Sadly, the Super Taco's accommodations are not luxurious, and I was too cold (and dirty from all the flying dust) to really sleep in any kind of a restfull manner.....  So, by Sunday, I was exhausted.

Bill's new obsession: motorcycles. Oh dear.
I had a good time though, despite my increasing tiredness. I took a CPR and a basic first aid class. Bill learned more recovery techniques. We took a wee side trip into Flagstaff and splurged on a dinner at Oregano's. And, the thing we were most looking forward to, we both passed our HAM certification class and became licensed amateur radio operators. (Our nerdery knows NO bounds.)

NERDS!
We met more great people, reconnected with previous great people, saw all kinds of great vehicles and gadgets and gear. It was a good time, and we look forward to next year's event (again)!

Cool cars you can't buy here: Nissan Patrol
May was certainly a busy month.... we attended two weddings and took two vacations. I started summer semester, attended a bunch of classes and seminars that I haven't even blogged about (oops) and my car broke down at the most horrible time ever (but its better now). Bill got all registered and approved for his graduate program. It seemed like we were just running from one crazy project to another, and everything else (like the laundry!) got left behind in the dust. June will now have to be our recovery month, in between homework assignments, to get all that "left behind" stuff caught back up.

Well, and to maybe get a little rest too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment