Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wilty Garden Update

Here we are again, trying to keep our plants alive through the summer. We've made it through June now, and so far all we have lost are the petunias, which really lasted longer than I thought they would.

Well, I guess the potatoes are dead (again) too, but I think I've just given up on them entirely. I thought potatoes would be a lot hardier, but they begin to wilt and die when the temperatures are still in the 90s. I will dig them up soon and see if we actually have any potatoes of size this time. I don't think I will plant potatoes again though.

The apple trees are still bright and happy! I am so happy that they are growing! The banana has bunches of big, glossy leaves. The guava and sapote trees need to be watered more than other things, but seem to be ok so far. We added quite a few trees to our garden this year, so we don't have as many veggies growing. (We only have so much time/attention/focus to go around.) The apples, guava, sapote, banana and almonds are all growing in containers. We really do need to transplant the pomegranate to ground, but it may have to wait until fall now.

The hydroponic garden is doing well, though not as well as last year. I think it has more to do with what we are trying to grow than the system itself. We have 2nd-gen tomatillos growing - the plant itself is going gangbusters, but the fruits are very tiny and bitter. Tomatillos have given me a heck of a time, and I think this will be the last time I try them as well. We have pickling cucumbers growing, and they are doing really well! I have enough harvested now that I really need to break out the canning stuff and make some pickles! YUM! Red cabbage is doing ok, but is growing slowly for some mysterious reason. Banana peppers and tomatoes are growing, but not happily - I think they are getting too much sun and its burning them up. I will have to rig up some kind of shade for them.

I cleaned out part of the garage a couple of weeks ago, to make room for the new bikes that we bought. It felt good to clear out that space. Now I just like to go out there and marvel at the fact that I can walk from the back of the garage to the front without having to call upon my inner Cirque du Soleil acrobat to navigate piles of stuff. I still need to clean out the front half of the garage some. And I would love to get back to decluttering the house. Little by little.....

Ugh, this heat! Its so... hot. It just drains my energy and makes me want to nap in a cool dark room.

No comments:

Post a Comment