Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Darn pictures.

I always have the best intentions to post... but then, I don't post because I forget to upload my pictures, blah blah blah. So, for today - no pictures. I'll do some pictures later. If I remember. Maybe.

Its frickety frack hot outside. Last week, we hit 118F. This week is supposed to be cooler - 107F to 102F. Its like a cold snap, folks! (Imagine a healthy dose of sarcasm right about here.) The "cooler" weather only comes to us courtesy of the "monsoon" season. Towards mid-to-late summer in the Great State of Arizona, we get a little bit of humidity and a whole lot of wind, lightning and thunder. If we're really lucky, we get an enormous dust storm (called a "haboob") (I couldn't make that up. It really is called a "haboob".) and then we get some rain. Dust + rain = everyone's car looks horrible.

With the crazy hot, the garden is suffering, big-time. The hydroponic garden is still moving along, but only because of the constant watering cycle. The raised bed and the Garden O' Buckets is full of sad plants by the end of the day, even if we water them every evening. The sun just seers the plants. I harvested one eggplant and one BIG zucchini over the weekend.... but the tomatoes look like hell. The corn has given up as well. I think we're going to have no choice but to dig in sprinkler lines for next year.

Did you know that ducks pant? They do. Poor things. We have a mister line in their pen that stays on all day, and they have a pond and shade. But when its 118F outside? Thats just miserable, even in the shade. I feel like its our hibernating time of year... we always have a lull in our activities during the summer because of the heat. I would like to get some projects done around the inside of the house this year....

But, its just so easy to take a nap instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment