Sunday, April 10, 2011

Why, yes, that was me.

If you were driving on Happy Valley Rd earlier today and saw an old Suzuki Samurai painted in matte OD green, jerking its way down the road and stalling a lot..... yeah. Sorry about that.

Its because I am just really not good at driving stick. Bill has been very patient with me, and encourages me to break  drive his manual transmission cars for more "practice". Its the whole left foot thing, I think. I've spent my entire driving life with an automatic transmission, and my left foot just goes along for the ride. Now, my left foot has to do something (the clutch) and that means I have to think about BOTH hands and BOTH feet... its doomed. Some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time, I can't direct all my limbs to drive a car at once.

Also, after about the 4th time that I stall, and the millionth time that we get whiplash from trying to go, I get the giggles. Having a case of giggles also doesn't bode will for keeping track of all the things that need to happen in order to make the car move forward. So, when I drive one of Bill's cars, its usually lots of laughter and herky-jerky, stop and go. People around us probably think I'm drunk. Or having a seizure. Or both.

One of these days, I may actually get the hang of driving stick..... but what would be the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment