So.... I was laid off in mid-February. I had been at that office for nearly 13 years, and my boss just let me go. He said it wasn't personal, but it totally was. He didn't like me, and I'm okay with that. His reasons for not liking me were petty and childish, and that's okay too.
I was unemployed for three weeks, to the day, and then I accepted a new job and started immediately. The new job is great, but very, very different from old job.
And, I feel like I've been on some crazy roller coaster of emotions for the last month.
I was so upset to be laid off, for so many reasons that I couldn't even properly sort them all out. I cried, and didn't even know why I was so upset. I was pissed off, and had no idea how to let go of that anger. I didn't even like that job! It was the job that helped me decide to go back to school, because I hated it so much. Why on Earth was I so sad to no longer be there? Why was I so pissed off about it?
Just as I was starting to get used to being unemployed, and about the time that my house was starting to look clean again, I found a new job. They offered it to me, and I accepted it... and started the very next day. Its different, that's for sure, and its actually a lot less work, responsibility-wise, than my previous job. The people there seem nice, and the office is generally more organized that the chaos that is rampant in my former office..... but I feel so.... wrong? Displaced? Unfocused? Something.
Overall, I feel a little displaced. Everything seems to just be happening around me, and I don't feel like I'm actually interacting with anything. Its just going on, and I'm just here. I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted. Most of all, I feel like this whole episode has been much longer than just the last month. Whatever tenuous grasp on time I had before, I've totally lost it now. I just feel.... stranded. Is this normal? Is this some weird stage of grief that I don't know about?
Is it normal to grieve for a job that I hated?
I guess the normalcy of it doesn't matter. It is what it is. I just don't particularly like feeling so disconnected. Its like waiting for the other shoe to drop - I feel like I'm still waiting for something. Moving forward seems more difficult when I feel like I need to keep waiting for something.... and especially when I have no idea what that something could be.
So.... what now?
No comments:
Post a Comment