Friday, May 20, 2011

Red light... Green light....

Generally, I'm against the idea of New Year's Resolutions. That will probably shock most anyone that knows me, since I am a planner. I like making plans. I like having a plan. I like making lists. Planning and making lists calm me down. They help me focus. It helps me take a task that may seem insurmountable and break it down into parts that don't seem so overwhelming and scary. But not with New Year's Resolutions. Maybe it's because you always hear how they aren't successful anyways, or maybe it's because I'm bad at setting goals for myself.

This year, I made Resolutions, and they were important to me. I feel like I've drifted from them in the last few months. I've let myself lose my focus. I've allowed myself to get bogged down in other people's problems. I've fallen back on easier, more familiar ways. I'm trying to embrace the idea that it's never too late to pick up and try again. I'm also trying to embrace the idea that failure doesn't always have to be so absolute. So.... I'm rededicating myself to those Resolutions.

I'm going to refocus on eliminating the word "hate" from my casual vocabulary. It's an incredibly powerful word, that sees far too much casual use in our society. I don't really "hate" the traffic on the way to work - I really just dislike it. I don't really "hate" pineapple - I just don't want to eat any. Hate begets hate. I'm removing a tiny bit of hate from my part of the world.

I'm going to refocus on being a more positive person. I'm going to be more patient, more considerate. My life is not bad. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, shoes for my feet, a job that pays the bills and people that love me. I will remember these things. Things won't always be easy or even fun, but they certainly don't get any better by my being negative about them. I will remember this as well.

I will spend more time with my family and friends. I will try new things. I will travel more, read more, write more, and spend more time in awe at the amazing world that we live in. I will finish old projects before I start new projects. I will "do" before I "do not". I will begin clearing the clutter from my life - emotionally, physically and mentally. I will find myself, and be myself again - unafraid and unrestrained.

Here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment