Mmm, character development. I'm actually working on some character development before I start writing the story. Weiiird. My typical writing style is just DO IT DO IT DO IT. I sit down (at the computer or with a notebook) (a paper notebook, not a laptop notebook) (yes, paper, I know) and write. GO. Whatever flows flows right on out and I work with it as it comes. This... has had pretty mixed results in the past. Sometimes it's amazing... its like a purge. I write and write and then its done and I feel this relief. Like, ahhhh, finally got that out my brain. And sometimes, I write and write... and then I'm stuck. I re-read it, and its just awful crap. Bleh. So, this time - more structure. Character development. And, then, setting development. And then... write write write. Its not all prep work though. I have a little notebook with me at all times this last week, and when I think of an interesting snippet or idea, I write it down. Yes, this did mean I was standing about in an elevator going nowhere for a few minutes on Friday. Hey, I don't control when inspiration hits.
And, yes, eventually I will get around to my 6 year old still-waiting-for-me story. It has waited this long, it can wait a little longer. Its one of those stories that just got stuck, and I'm not sure where to take it. I think it needs a major re-write, and that just kills me. I intensely dislike rewrites. I also think a rewrite won't really make a difference until I'm really ready to tackle that head-on and just dissect the crap out of it. So, I'll let it age a bit more.
The weather was nice this weekend, so I did some gardening. Bill worked one one of the cars for a bit - it may actually be fixed now. Let's hope it is. (Because really when your boyfriend brings you his cell phone and a fire extinguisher and says something like "Here. Can you watch while I do this crazy thing under the car with a soldering iron right next to this fuel leak?", well, let's just hope its fixed now.) The dogs around the backyard all weekend like crazy things. Its that spring fever in the air. I can hardly believe that its March already! Where does the time go?
No comments:
Post a Comment